A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Saturday, July 2, 2011

June Wrap Up


Where did June go???? I can't believe it's already July. The sad part about living in Chicago is that you only get a few perfect days a year and summer doesn't last very long.

This time last year I think I was already into my marathon training. This year I'm feeling way more laid back. I don't know if that's good or bad but I probably should step it up some. July will be where it's at.

But before we get to that, how was June anyway?

I had three races in June and each of them was so very different. First I did a 5K that was not my best showing. I'm hoping to have my 5K revenge later this year.

Next I did that crazy relay! Sometimes that whole thing seems like a dream. I still can't believe I ran so well on so little sleep. That last 8.2 mile leg may be one of my best-feeling runs ever.

And then there's my first duathlon! I exceeded my expectations and now I'm even more excited for the one I'm doing in July.

So how much mileage did all of that net me? And what about that strength training. Well, I ended up running 70.71 miles. Only three fewer miles than last June so I think I'm right on target. The cool thing, though, is that this June I also biked 74.06 miles! I'm really enjoying this whole biking thing.

The strength training was almost up to par with a total of 7 sessions. Not quite the 8+ I need to hit my goal of 100 but better than some other months.

So, overall, I'd say June was a good month. It may not have started out too great but it definitely ended on a high note.